Food on a stick! Need I say more? These healthy Tofu Veggie Skewers are a real breeze to make and packed with late summer favorites.
These tofu skewers with Tzatziki will be a hit with family and friends! Why is it that food on a stick is extra scrumptious?
Whether you’re BBQing, out for a picnic, or heading to a potluck party, these veggie skewers are guaranteed to be enjoyed by all!
HOW TO MAKE TOFU VEGGIE SKEWERS:
- First, press the tofu so that most of the water is drained out.
- Meanwhile, chop the vegetables into bite size pieces and prepare the marinate.
- Next, thread the tofu along with veggies and slather with marinate. Bake the skewers for about 20 minutes or until the veggies are tender crisp
- Last, dig in!
These Tofu veggie skewers will be best served immediately. They can be stored separately in air-tight containers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
TOFU VEGGIE SKEWERS RECIPE:
1 block extra firm tofu, cut into thin bite-sized squares
1 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper, grounded
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp italian seasoning
1 tsp red chilli flakes
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into cubes
1 red bell pepper, cut into cubes
1 green bell pepper, cut into cubes
1 large red onion, cut into cubes
1 cup greek yogurt
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup cucumber, grated
2 tbsp fresh dill or parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). If using a BBQ, skip this step.
- Drain tofu and place between a clean double folded kitchen towel, or paper napkins. Place a medium stainless steel pot on top to help press the tofu, releasing it of excess moisture.
- If using bamboo skewers, at this time you may also like to soak them in water to keep them from burning on the ends.
- Cut the tofu into 1 inch (2 cm) bite-sized cubes. To a large shallow dish, add the tofu pieces, drizzle over the olive oil, and gently toss to coat. Then add the corn starch, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, and give it another gentle toss.
- In a medium bowl, add oil, lemon juice, sesaonings, salt and pepper and give it a good mix.
- Thread the tofu on the skewers along with the bell peppers and onion.
- Brush the marinade over the skewers, and place the skewers onto a wiring rack.
- Bake in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes, or until the veggies are cooked. If using a BBQ, simply grill until it’s cooked to your liking, before giving it a turn.
- To make the tzatziki: simply mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, and enjoy together with the skewers!
- Try any other veggies you’d like here, such as mushrooms, carrots, sweet potato, zucchini or corn.
- If using bamboo skewers, be sure to soak the skewers in water before slipping the veggies and tofu on the skewer.
Are you making this recipe? Then don’t forget to like and leave your comments for this recipe! I LOVE to see your creations so snap a photo and tag BlendOfSpicesbySara on Instagram with the hashtag #blendofspicesbysara