Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani) is a rich, warm, buttery and flavorful chicken gravy made right at home with simple ingredients! This Easy Butter Chicken recipe can be on your dinner table in just 30 minutes.
The chicken is incredibly tender and infused with flavor from a yogurt marinade, and the sauce is deliciously rich and creamy, just like butter chicken from your favorite Indian restaurant.
Butter chicken is best served over steamed basmati rice or jeera rice with a side of naan bread for sopping up the delicious sauce! If you love butter chicken, make sure to check out this chicken tikka masala recipe. You’ll love it, too.
As someone who loves food with big, BIG flavors, it’s no surprise that you gonna love it! Trust me when I say it’s finger-lickin’ good! This Butter Chicken will become a quick favorite for your family!
WHAT IS BUTTER CHICKEN?
Butter chicken or murgh makhani is prepared by marinating the chicken then grilled or pan-fried and then served in a rich gravy made with tomato, onion, butter, and a spice blend as a base.
HOW TO MAKE BUTTER CHICKEN?
Butter Chicken can be done in 3 simple steps,
- Make Butter Chicken Marinade and marinate chicken for 3+ hours (overnight is best)
- Grill or Pan-fry the chicken
- Make the sauce
The secret to the tender, flavour infused chicken is a spice infused yogurt marinade made with fresh ginger, garlic, lemon juice and spices.
Finger-Lickin’ butter chicken! That’s a little too much fun to say.
TIPS FOR CREAMY BUTTER CHICKEN:
- Blend all the ingredients under marination except chicken as it helps in making smooth curry.
- Don’t marinate your chicken for more than 24 hours. The lemon and acid in the yogurt will start to break down the chicken texture after a day.
- Cashews gives richness to the gravy so don’t skip it.
- You can also use ghee instead of butter in this recipe.
- Make the butter chicken sauce ahead of time and freeze for up to 6 months! Simply cook the sauce without the chicken and store in plastic bags. Thaw overnight in the fridge and cook marinated chicken in the sauce as usual.
VARIATIONS ON BUTTER CHICKEN:
- Chicken: You can use any kind of chicken in this recipe, like chicken thighs, breasts and bone-in chicken legs.
- Dairy: Instead of heavy cream, you can substitute full fat coconut milk or half-and-half. If you use non-fat milk, the sauce won’t be as rich and creamy.
- Yogurt: You can use any full fat or non-fat yogurt in the marinade. If you want a tangier marinade, use Greek yogurt.
- Nut: Instead of cashew, you can substitute almonds or use both.
- Butter: You can also use ghee in place of butter in this recipe.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BUTTER CHICKEN?
To make a proper Indian feast, sides are essentials! And this Butter chicken goes with everything because it has such a savory and mild flavor! Here are some of my favorite combo to inspire you!
DOES THIS EASY BUTTER CHICKEN RECIPE FREEZE WELL?
Serve: Butter Chicken can be at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
Store: Place cooled Butter Chicken in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Freeze: Cool Butter Chicken completely before storing in a sealed container and freezing for up to 3 months.
EASY CURRY RECIPES,
BUTTER CHICKEN ( MURGH MAKHANI ) RECIPE:
For the marinade:
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into roughly 1-inch cubes
1/4 cup full-fat plain yogurt
1 tbsp oil/ghee
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp cumin powder
Salt to taste
For the sauce:
8 to 10 whole cashews
2 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
1 inch ginger
2 cloves garlic
1 medium-sized onion, roughly chopped
4 ripen tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 cup water
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 tbsp kasuri methi
- Blend all the ingredients under marination except chicken as it helps in making smooth curry. It is optional step.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the chicken and marination mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight.
3.Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle a tsp of oil to the pan and fry the marinated chicken for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, until the chicken is cooked through (clear juice runs out of it when you cut into it). Do not crowd the pan.
- Melt 1 1/2 tbsps of butter in a medium sauce pan and saute the cashew, onion, garlic, ginger, tomatoes. Add a cup of water and simmer for 10 mins.
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool down completely.
- Then blend the onion-tomato mixture into a smooth sauce.
- In the sauce pan, add 2 tbsp of butter. As soon as the butter melts, add onion-tomato sauce ( strain it before adding for smooth gravy) and cook for 8 to 10 minutes on medium high heat.
- Add the coriander, kashmiri red chilli powder, sugar and salt. Stir and cook on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the grilled chicken and heavy cream. Stir well. Cover the pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the remaining 1/2 tbsp butter and the kasuri methi. Cover again, and let the dish rest for 8 to 10 minutes so the flavor of kasuri methi can marry into the butter chicken.
- Serve the butter chicken with a side of steamed basmati rice, roti, or naan.
Are you making this recipe? Then don’t forget to like and leave your comments for this recipe! I LOVE to see your creations so snap a photo and tag BlendOfSpicesbySara on Instagram with the hashtag #blendofspicesbysara