Hearty and nourishing, these Morning Glory Muffins are the glorious way to start the day! They are deliciously moist and healthy which is made using 100% whole wheat flour, honey and brown sugar and brimming with apples, carrots, banana, oranges and pineapple!
Like any old fashioned recipe, these never go out of style, and are perfect for a Sunday brunch, a holiday get together, or breakfast on the go!
WHAT IS A MORNING GLORY MUFFIN?
This muffin is a classic, created years ago by Chef Pam McKinstry, the owner of Morning Glory Cafe on Nantucket Island. The muffin paid homage to the wholesome “back to the land” 70’s hippie movement and was published in Gourmet magazine in 1981, then eventually chosen as one of the magazine’s 25-favorite recipes of the past 50 years. [WIKI]
Talk about a whole lot of goodness in one tasty baked treat! These morning glory muffins are easy to make, so easy in fact you don’t even need a mixer.
You’ll love all the flavors and textures paired together in every bite, each one complementing the other. It’s a classic muffin that doesn’t get the attention it deserves!
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS YOU WILL BE NEED?
Here’s a list of ingredients that i have used to make along with other substitutions options:
- Whole Wheat Flour: You can use all-purpose flour or combination of wheat flour and all-purpose flour.
- Brown Sugar: You can replace with coconut sugar.
- Honey: You can replace with Brown sugar, coconut sugar, or pure maple syrup.
- Melted Butter: I have used unsalted butter. If your using salted one then don’t add salt separately in this recipe. You can recipe butter with any flavorless oil.
- Banana Puree: You can replace with apple sauce or crushed pineapple, or pumpkin puree.
- Orange Juice: You can use milk or add more pineapple juice.
- Pineapple Juice: You can use milk or add more orange juice.
- Carrots: You can replace with more shredded apple or even shredded zucchini.
- Apples: You can replace with shredded zucchini or more shredded carrot.
- Baking soda : Helps in rising the muffins.
- Eggs : Helps to bind everything and also help the muffins rise.
HOW TO MAKE?
Making these morning glory muffins is as simple:
Combining all the dry ingredients in 1 bowl.
Combining all the wet ingredients in another bowl
Then mixing everything together by hand.
HOW TO STORE MUFFINS:
These muffins remains soft and fresh at room temperature for a 2 days or in the refrigerator for 1 week.
You can freeze these muffins in an airtight container up to 2 months Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and warm in the microwave before serving!
OTHER MUFFINS WE LOVE!
MORNING GLORY MUFFINS RECIPE:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup carrots, grated
1/2 cup apple, grated
1/4 cup orange juice, fresh
1/4 cup pineapple juice, fresh
3 tbsp honey
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 medium-sized banana, puree
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 C. Grease the cupcake liners, this recipe yields 6-7 Muffins.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients ( flour, salt and baking soda) in a bowl.
- Then in a large mixing bowl, add the egg and brown sugar, beat well until the sugar dissolves.Then add the all other wet ingredients (honey, orange and pineapple juice, vanilla extract, melted butter) and combine well.
- Finally add the grated apple, carrot and banana puree, mix well until its combined well.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in two batches, fold everything together just until combined and no pockets of flour remain.
- Spoon the batter into liners, filling them to the top.Bake for 25 minutes at 400 F or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes before serving
Are you making this recipe? Then don’t forget to like and leave your comments for this recipe! I LOVE to see your creations so snap a photo and tag BlendOfSpicesbySara on Instagram with the hashtag #blendofspicesbysara