These Steamed Bao Buns filled with savory sauteed mushroom in hoisin sauce and pickled veggies are a delicious feast for the senses! They are prefect as an appetizer or light meal.
With juicy mushroom, crunchy veggies, and a pillowy soft bun is utterly perfect. These handheld wrappers are little alternative to a regular sandwich or burger and put a tasty asian twist on your meal!
Hoisin Glazed Mushroom Bao Buns
1/3 cup warm water
1/2 cup warm milk
1 tbsp active dry yeast
4 tbsp sugar, divided half
2 tbsp avocado, vegetable or canola oil
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
For the Pickled Veggies:
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
1 medium jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
For the Mushroom Filling:
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons sesame oil
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 cup mushrooms
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
To make Bao buns:
- Combine warm water, milk, active yeast, sugar and oil. Whisk to let yeast and sugar to dissolve then let it sit until years activate, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Pour the wet ingredients to dry ingredients mixture. And keep kneed for 3 to 4 minutes until the dough should be elastic and really soft but not stick to your fingers or on the mixing bowl.
- Cover with a plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place until it becomes double size, about 2 hours.
- Place the raised dough on a working surface. Roll out the dough 1/4-inch thick. Cut the dough into small circle with a ring mold or glass.
- Lightly brush or spray oil on one surface of the baos and fold in half as a half moon shape. Gently press each bao with a roller and place on a parchment paper. Cover and let it rest for additional 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring water to boil on a steamer pot. Carefully place the steamer with the baos on top of boiling water wok/pot. Cover and steam for 8 to 12 minutes.
To Make the Pickled Veggies:
- While the dough rises, mix the water, vinegar, sugar and salt together in a medium bowl, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the veggies and allow the mixture to sit while you make the filling and finish making the buns.
To Make the Mushrooms:
- Stir the soy sauce, vinegar, maple syrup, sesame oil, and hoisin sauce together in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the mushrooms in an even layer. Cook the mushrooms for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add the sauce to the skillet and mix to coat the mushrooms. Allow them to continue cooking until the sauce is thick and forms a sticky coating, about 3 minutes more.
- Remove the skillet from heat and transfer the mushrooms to a plate.
- Spread hoisin sauce in the middle of the buns, then stuff with mushrooms, pickled veggies, peanuts, green onions,sesame seeds and cilantro. Serve!
Are you making this recipe? Then don’t forget to like and leave your comments for this recipe! I LOVE to see your creations so snap a photo and tag BlendOfSpicesbySara on Instagram with the hashtag #blendofspicesbysara