Easy Chocolate Mousse is a decadent, rich and the most delightful classic dessert you could dip a spoon into! And you won’t believe it uses only 2 ingredients and whipped up in a matter of minutes. All you do is blend the ingredients, chill the mousse, and serve with your favorite toppings!
Chocolate mousse is an absolute classic French dessert. But did you know how simple it can be? Creamy and light white chocolate mousse made easy with only 2 ingredients and it’s egg-free, gelatin-free and it doesn’t require any cooking. Eat it on it’s own, or layer it in a trifle or cake…it’s a creamy no bake mousse that you will love!
I love a good chocolate dessert and this Chocolate Mousse is decadent and rich and light all at the same time! This easy version takes a shortcut to make a completely effortless rich and fluffy chocolate mousse.
What is Mousse?
A mousse is a soft prepared food that incorporates air bubbles to give it a light and airy texture. It can range from light and fluffy to creamy and thick, depending on preparation techniques. A mousse may be sweet or savory.
Sweet mousses are typically made with whipped egg whites, whipped cream, or both, and flavored with one or more of chocolate, coffee, caramel, puréed fruits, or various herbs and spices, such as mint or vanilla.
Savory mousses can be made from meat, fish, shellfish, foie gras, cheese, or vegetables
How to Make Chocolate Mousse?
I make this quick 2-ingredient chocolate mousse with chocolate and whipping cream. I usually use semi-sweet chocolate chips containing around 55-60 % cocoa.
Feel free to use chocolate with a higher cocoa content for a more chocolaty and earthy version.
Although quick to make, you should plan ahead and keep in mind that this mousse needs some chilling time. After melting the chocolate with the cream, let the mixture sit until it reaches room temperature, which should take around 15-20 minutes. Then, when the mousse is ready, it should be refrigerated for at least 2 hours, until firm.
The recipe is made from only 2 ingredients: semi-sweet dark chocolate and heavy cream. This means the texture is creamy, light, and airy, but thanks to the chocolate, it’s still denser and firmer than whipped cream. The chocolate to cream ratio varies greatly between different recipes. When it’s done, you can top the mousse with delicious fresh strawberries or raspberries, berry sauce, or grated chocolate.
A pinch of salt, cardamom powder, or ground pink pepper make a great addition to this super-delicious and simple chocolate mousse. However, it’s amazing all by itself too
How Long Can You Keep Chocolate Mousse in the Fridge?
If your jars are covered, this dessert should last about 3-4 days in the fridge. Just add the desired toppings on the day of serving.
Can we Use This Chocolate Mousse as a Cake Filling?
Yes ! This easy recipe can also be used as a cake filling!
This chocolate mousse makes a perfect hostess gift or a great and easy-to-make dessert to bring to a potluck or an evening with friends. It also makes a great dessert for fancier dinners with fancy guests. Not, that we wouldn’t be fancy. But honestly, spooning this extremely creamy, airy and soft chocolate mousse right out of the jar in front of the TV will give you satisfaction too.
EASY CHOCOLATE MOUSSE RECIPE:
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate , coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups heavy cream, cold
For Cream Hearts:
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Place chocolate in a large heat-proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup heavy cream and microwave until melted and smooth. Heat gently in 20-30 second intervals, stirring in between. Allow to cool on the counter for 20 minutes or until the mixture reaches room temperature.
- Using a hand mixer,whisk the rest of the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add 2 tablespoons whipped cream to the chocolate mixture and whisk by hand until smooth. Add half of the remaining whipped cream and fold gently until combined. Add the remaining whipped cream and fold until combined and smooth.
- Divide the mousse between 6 individual cups. For exactly 6 servings, each should measure 1/2 cup/120 ml. Chill the mousse for at least 2 hours, until set.
- If desired, garnish with fresh berries, berry sauce, whip cream or grated chocolate.
- To make the heavy cream hearts, mix the cream,maple syrup and vanilla extract and fill into heart mold. Freeze 20-30 minutes.
- Store mousse in the fridge,covered with plastic wrap, for up to 3 days.
Are you making this recipe? Then don’t forget to like and leave your comments for this recipe! I LOVE to see your creations so snap a photo and tag BlendOfSpicesbySara on Instagram with the hashtag #blendofspicesbysara