Chicken Dum Biryani is a luxurious glee known worldwide and loved by all. A delicious motley of succulent chicken layered with fine long grain basmati rice, with the goodness of finger licking masala, caramelized onions and then slow cooked (dum) to perfection, this is very easy to make and the best chicken dum biryani recipe you will delight to eat!
WHAT IS BIRYANI?
Biryani is a classic Indian mixed rice dish that is part of the Indian Mughlai culinary tradition, which traces its roots to central Asian cuisine and a rich fusion with Indian flavors and techniques.
It is such a versatile dish that you can prepare so many types of biryanis with so many different vegetables and meats. Whichever part of India you are, there is an amazing biryani recipe waiting to be enjoyed!
It is prepared with layers of fluffy basmati rice, marinated meat or chicken or any vegetables, browned onions, cilantro, mint, yogurt, saffron, ghee and spices. Classic biryani can justly be called the crown jewel of Indian cuisine, a dream dish that should not be missed.
WHAT IS CHICKEN DUM BIRYANI?
Biryani is basically rice cooked with meat in layers and on very slow heat or dum. There are many ways in a which a biryani is prepared and each method is unique and have it’s own significance. There is Hyderabadi Style Biryani, Salem Briyani , Dindigal Thalappakati Biryani, Ambur Biryani, Donne Biryani etc.
This royal delicacy is prepared by cooking the rice first, and then layering it with chicken. Long grain basmati rice is to be soaked and added into a bowl of boiling water with aromatic spices, jeera and salt. The rice is cooked to infuse the flavors of the spices.
The chicken pieces are marinated with ginger – garlic paste, garam masala powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt, vegetable oil, green chilli , yogurt, cilantro, mint leaves and lemon juice, it’s allowed to sit overnight or for at least 2-3 hours so that it soaks in all the flavors of the marinate and become tender.
The marinated chicken also makes for a very important component of the Biryani. It is tender, juicy and soft to eat. The biryani is everything that royalty is made of!
Once marinated,it is cooked to perfection and then delicious biryani is assembled by putting in the chicken first and topping it with partially cooked rice.
As the rice starts to cook, the biryani is topped with milk, soaked saffron, browned onions and ghee. Then the pan is covered and the biryani is allowed to cook on dum beautifully with the flavours of the spices and toppings
This aromatic chicken dum briyani that can be smelt from metres away. Chicken Dum Biryani is best served with some raita and salad. It makes for a royal dinner and one can never have enough.
This dum Briyani is very simple and easy recipe to follow and don’t require any fancy ingredients to make it. Biryani recipes are dearest to my family, anytime.This recipe is my consistently hit briyani recipe not only within family but with guests also.
TIPS TO MAKE PERFECT BRIYANI AT HOME?
Some of the tips I used to follow,
- Always use top-quality long grain basmati rice for making any biryani, this makes fluffy and fragrant Biryani.
- Always rinse the rice and soak for 30 minutes before cooking which helps i softening the rice.
- Over cooking or under cooking of rice will spoil the briyani. Fluffiness of rice is very important for any biryani recipe, each and every grain should be separate and perfectly cooked. So make sure to cook the rice for 70% only.
- Always use fresh ingredients like ginger, garlic, chillies, cilantro and mint. It makes the briyani much more flavorful.
- Pan fry the veggies before adding water as it gives nice texture to the veggies.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BRIYANI?
I love to serve briyani with any kurma or also just serve this with a side of yogurt or with onion raita or boondi raita.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE,
Here is how to make chicken biryani recipe,
CHICKEN DUM BYANI RECIPE
To marinate the chicken:
750 g chicken with bone, cut into medium pieces
3/4 cup yogurt (curd), whisked well
1 tbsp ginger – garlic paste
3-4 green chilies, slitted
2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
2 tbsp cooking oil
3 tbsp fried onions
1/4 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
1/4 cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
Juice of 1 large lemons
To cook the rice:
3 cups long grain basmati rice,washed and soaked for 30 mins
salt to taste
8 cups of water(or as needed)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 inch cinnamon stick
2 green cardamom
6 black peppercorns
1 bay leaves
1 tbsp lemon juice
To cook the gravy:
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp ghee
1 onion large, finely sliced
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 green cardamom
2 bay leaves
1 star anise
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 cup coriander leaves
1/4 cup mint Leaves
2 tbsp ghee
a pick of saffron soaked in a tbsp of milk
Fried onions as needed
To marinate chicken:
- Clean and wash the chicken well, drain the water completely.
- Add all the ingredients mentioned and mix well.
- Add chicken pieces and mix.
- Cover and allow it to rest overnight or for at least 30 minutes under refrigeration.
To cook rice:
- Clean, wash and soak basmati rice for 30 minutes.
- Heat enough water in large pot, add all the ingredients mentioned except rice in cheese cloth and bring it to a boil.
- Then add rice and cook until 70 percent done. Strain all the water from the cooked rice.
To cook chicken:
- In a heavy bottom pot, heat oil and ghee together.Then add the whole spices.
- Add sliced onion and fry until they just start to pick the golden colour.
- Then, add marinated chicken and mix.
- Cook the chicken for 6-7 minutes on low. Switch off the heat and set it aside.
To layer chicken dum biryani:
- In the same pan, sprinkle fried onions over the cooked chicken.
- Layer the cooked rice on the top of the chicken evenly.
- Pour soaked saffron,chopped mint leaves, coriander leaves, fried onions and melted ghee over the rice.
- Cover the pot with aluminium foil and lid.
- Cook the biryani on high flame for 4-5 to develop the steam.
- Then lower the heat and slow cook the biryani (dum) for 15 minutes. switch off the heat.
- Allow it to rest for 5-7 minutes. Chicken Biryani is ready to serve with raita.
- Adjust the spiciness of the biryani as per your preference.
- You can use mix chicken cut or drumsticks or thighs.Marination of chicken is extremely important for juicy and tender chicken.
- Soak rice for 30 minutes to get fluffy rice
- Use a heavy bottom pan to make the biryani.
- If you do not have the fried onions, then finely slice 2 large onions and fry it in oil until golden.
Are you making this recipe? Then don’t forget to like and leave your comments for this recipe! I LOVE to see your creations so snap a photo and tag BlendOfSpicesbySara on Instagram with the hashtag #blendofspicesbysara