Kadai Paneer or Karahi Paneer is a quintessential paneer dish that can be always found on a restaurant menu and dinner parties! This recipe is prepared by sauteing the fresh paneer and capsicum cubes in onion-tomato gravy with melange of ingredients like kasoori methi, freshly pounded kadai masala and fresh cream.
This sumptuous paneer dish that tops a vegetarian’s list and can be prepared as dry, semi dry or in a gravy version.
The Kadai Masala is prepared by dry roasting and grinding the spices like cardamom, dry red chillies, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds and black peppercorns. Using these freshly ground spices gives this dish a delectable flavor.
This is one of the simplest preparations of paneer and the dish retains the original authentic taste of paneer coupled with the tanginess of other ingredients and spices. If you want you can lightly roast or fry the paneer cubes before adding them in the gravy.
We have here is a semi dry paneer recipe that can be served as a main dish at a dinner party or on festivals and special occasions as well, along with a chapati, paratha or some cooked rice.
This traditional recipe is a perfect concoction of spices, paneer and cream. If you are bored with the usual paneer recipes like shahi paneer, paneer butter masala, palak paneer, paneer bhurji; then this one is a must try for you specially if you are looking for something spicy and delicious.
PRO TIP: To make the paneer cubes soft and tender, soak the paneer cubes in water this will give a soft texture to the paneer cubes.
This easy to prepare recipe makes for a perfect main course dish and it tastes best when served with naan, jeera rice, veg biryani and butter tandoori roti.
Another essential ingredient of this dish is kasoori methi, which accentuates the taste and flavor of this paneer recipe.
If you want to make it healthy, you can add chopped veggies of your choice. If you craving for a delicious wholesome meal, then this will be your go-to recipe.
You can make this delicious recipe for special occasions like kitty parties, potlucks, buffets, house parties to name a few. So don a chef’s hat and woo your guests with your culinary skills!
Check on my other paneer recipes,
Here is how to make Kadai Paneer Recipe at home.
Kadai panner | Karahi paneer recipe
Course: Main Course
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
2 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp black peppercorns
3 dried red kashmiri chilies
2 green cardamom
1 inch cinnamon
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 medium-sized onion,finely chopped
2 green chili, slited
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
3-4 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
1/4 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp kashmiri red chili powder
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp heavy cream
salt to taste
1 tsp sugar
1 large green bell pepper (capsicum), cut into 1-inch pieces
250 grams paneer, cubed
1 tsp kasuri methi, dried fenugreek leaves
cilantro, to garnish
ginger julienne,to garnish
To Make the Kadai Masala:
- To a small kadai or pan, dry roast the spices under kadai masala for 3 to 4 minutes on medium heat until fragrant. Remove from heat and transfer the roasted spices to a spice grinder.
- Let it cool down a bit and then grind to a fine powder. Keep aside.
To Make the Kadai Paneer:
- In a large kadai or any other pan, now melt butter with oil on medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and saute for 3 minutes until softened. Then add the sliced green chili and ginger garlic paste and saute for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes . Mix and simmer for around 5 minutes until tomatoes are soft and mashy.
- Now add the kadai masala that you prepared earlier,garam masala and kashmiri red chili powder. Stir the spices and cook for 30 seconds.
- Then add fresh cream, salt, sugar and mix well. Add water to required consistency.Cover and cook for 3 minute or till oil oozes out.
- Add in the paneer and bell peppers (capsicum) and mix. Cover the pan and cook for 5 to 6 minutes on medium heat until bell peppers are slightly softened.
- Add the crushed kasuri methi to the gravy and garnish with remaining ginger julienne and cilantro.
- Serve kadai paneer with naan or paratha.
- You can also saute the paneer and capsicum cubes separately before add it to the gravy.
- Adjust the spice level as per your taste by adding less or more kadai masala.
Are you making this recipe? Then don’t forget to like and leave your comments for this recipe! I LOVE to see your creations so snap a photo and tag BlendOfSpicesbySara on Instagram with the hashtag #blendofspicesbysara