Gutti Vankaya Kura or Stuffed Brinjal Curry is a delectable andhra style curry made by stuffing baby brinjals with peanut,sesame seeds,dry coconuts and spices that makes immensely flavorful and makes for a perfect side with steamed rice or rotis.
Gutti Vankaya Kura or Stuffed Eggplant/Brinjal curry is Andhra traditional special curry. This dish can be made with either the small purple brinjals or the small round green eggplants. But you need to make sure that the brinjals are absolutely fresh and tender , without a dry withered look. This dish tastes good only if the brinjals are fresh, young and tender.
Gutti Vankaya Kura is a traditional brinjal curry from Andhra cuisine that can be savored at a dinner party or even for a casual lunch at home. A delicious curry bursting with flavours and aromatic spices. Deep fried stuffed brinjals, simmered in rich, thick curry, served with steamed rice.
Not a fan of eggplant/brinjal? Try this stuffed eggplant gravy and you might just change your mind!
Gutti Vankaya Kura | Stuffed Brinjal Curry Recipe
8 baby brinjal/eggplant
3 tbsp peanuts
2 tbsp dry desiccated coconut
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 inch cinnamon
1 green cardamom
1 inch ginger
3 cloves garlic
1/4 onion, roughly chopped
1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup water
3 tbsp gingelly oil/cooking Oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 dry red chillies
few curry leaves
1/2 onion,thinly sliced
pinch of turmeric powder
1/2 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
1/2 cup tamarind extract
Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Soak small lemon size tamarind in 1/4 cup of warm water for 15 minutes.Then squeeze and extract the juice from soaked tamarind.
- Heat a small frying pan and dry roast peanuts on a medium flame until it turns crisp.
- Now add sesame seeds,coriander seeds,cumin,fenugreek seeds,cinnamon,cardamom and clove, roast until its turns aromatic.
- Finally add dry coconut and roast slightly, turn off the flame and allow to cool.
- Once it cooled down completely, blend it to smooth thick paste along with roughly chopped ginger,garlic,onion and chilli powder,turmeric along with salt. Add 1/4 cup of water to make a thick paste.
- Cut the brinjal’s in x-shape without taking off the stalk and soak in water along with some salt to avoid discoloring until stuffing is ready.
- Now stuff the prepared masala paste to all the brinjals and keep aside.
- In a large pan heat oil and add mustard,cumin,chillies,curry leaves and allow to splutter.
- Add the sliced onion and saute until it changes colour slightly and then add turmeric and chilli powder,saute on low flame.
- Add in stuffed brinjal and saute gently.Cover and cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add in the leftover masala paste that are remaining from stuffing and tamarind extract.Mix well and adjust the consistency by adding water.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes or the masala ooze out the oil. Finally add coriander leaves and mix well.
Enjoy Gutti vankaya curry with roti or steamed rice topped with ghee!
Are you making this recipe? Then don’t forget to like and leave your comments for this recipe! I LOVE to see your creations so snap a photo and tag BlendOfSpicesbySara on Instagram with the hashtag #blendofspicesbysara