Spicy, tasty and a very popular street Food from Hubli Dharwad region of Karnataka specially made with girmit masala or gojju and puffed rice.
What is Girmit?
Girmit / Mandakki Upkari is one of the most famous tea time snack or street food in Central and Northern regions of Karnataka or even in south Maharashtra and you will get this in all the street side shops. Its usually eaten with Mirchi bajji.
This resembles like Bhel Puri but the taste is completely different since it is made with different ingredients. Its very easy to prepare at home and can be enjoyed eating in a park, potlucks or as tea time snacks.
HOW IT IS PREPARED?
Mandakki Upsari is prepared with puffed rice , girmit masala, roasted gram flour, onion, tomato and garnish with sev or mixture,lemon juice and coriander leaves.
Girmit Masala or Gojju is made with onion, tomato and tamarind.
This is one of the low calorie snacks to keep in your list!
GIRMIT | MANDAKKI UPSARI RECIPE
2 cup puffed rice
2 green chilies
1/2 onion finely chopped
1/2 tomato finely chopped
2 tbsp roasted gram
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
2 tbsp sev or mixture (optional)
Girmit masala :
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp jeera or cumin seeds
few curry leaves
One big pinch turmeric powder
1 green chili
2 cloves of garlic
1 onion finely chopped
1 tomato finely chopped
Small gooseberry sized tamarind
1 tsp jaggery
2 tbsp roasted gram
2 tsp cooking oil
Salt as per your taste
- Soak Tarmind in warm water for 5 mins and extract the juice.
- Take 1/2 cup of roasted fram in a blender and make it to powder.
- In tsp of oil, added two green chilli and fry it.Keep aside by mixing a salt.
- For making Girmit Masala,in a large pan, heat oil and add mustard,cumin and few curry leaves.
- Further add finely chopped onion 2 green chilli and saute well with turmeric and salt.
- Then add Tomato and cook till oil seperates.Further tamarind extract and jaggery.Allow it to boil till oil seperates.
- Finally add powdered gram flour and mix well. Now girmit masala / curry is ready.
- In a large mixing bowl take 2 cups puffed rice prepared girmit masala,onions, tomato and roasted gram powder and give a rough mix.
Serve north karnataka style girmit recipe garnished with few coriander leaves,handful of sev / mixture and dash of lemon juice.
- Puffed rice should be very crispy. If it is not crispy, then heat it in a frying pan for few minutes under low flame.
- Mix everything before serving else it will be soggy,girmit will taste better when it is crispy.
- You can prepare these Girmit masala before hand and store it in refrigerator
If you’ve tried this Girmit Recipe then don’t forget to like and leave your comments for this recipe!
Reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and also you can follow me on Facebook(https://www.facebook.com/blendofspicesbysara), Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/blendofspicesbysara) to see what’s latest in my kitchen!